Google Photos is just as it’s name suggests, an app to manage all your photos. If you have been looking for one place to store all your digital memories, Google Photos is perfect. Here’s what Google has to say about this app:
Google Photos is the home for all your photos and videos, searchable and organized by the people, places, and things that matter.
• VISUAL SEARCH – Your photos are now searchable by the people, places and things that appear in your photos. Looking for that fish taco you ate in Hawaii? Just search Hawaii or food to find it, even if it doesn’t have a description. Note: Face grouping is not available in all countries.
• AUTO BACKUP – All your photos and videos can be safely backed up and accessible on any device. Store unlimited photos and videos at high quality for free, or store at original size that counts towards your Google account storage.
• SAVE SPACE ON YOUR DEVICE – Google Photos can help you clear safely backed up photos and videos from your device, so you never have to worry about deleting a photo to make space again.
• BRING PHOTOS TO LIFE – Automatically get animated GIFs, montage movies, collages, panoramas, and more made from your photos, or create them yourself.
• EDITING – Transform photos with the tap of a finger. Use simple, yet powerful, photo and video editing tools to apply filters, adjust colors, and more.
• SHARING – Share photos directly to your favorite apps, or instantly share to anyone with just a link.
• REDISCOVER – Be reminded of your memories from the past. Look back at what you did a year ago, or two, or even 10 years ago.
• CAST – Easily share your photos and videos to your TV with Chromecast.
Putting the app to use:
What makes Google Photos so great is if you have a Google account, you already have access to all of Google’s apps; including Google Photos. All you need to do is download the app on your device or head to the website. After that simple step, you can easily upload all your pictures to the Google Photos “cloud”. You have 15 GB of free storage from your Google Drive to store the pictures and videos in the exact original quality. That’s a lot of space, but it may not be enough for your entire picture library so Google also gives you the choice of unlimited storage to store all your pictures at a reduced size. Don’t worry about the reduced size, the pictures are still high quality and look just like they do originally. Only if your pictures are larger than 16 megapixels should you want to use the 15 GB option.
Having all your pictures in one location is really great. You don’t have to juggle multiple devices. Google Photos arranges all your photos by the date and time they were taken which makes your library even better. It’s an amazing feeling scrolling through your library and seeing all your memories in order. You can even arrange your pictures into albums. Google Photos also does some cool things with your photos. It makes them into GIFs and it even stitches individual pictures into panoramas. Google Photos carefully scans your pictures so it can recognize faces in them. Once you name all the recognized faces you can easily search for a name and all the pictures tagged with that name will pop up. You can also search for things like animals, cars, boats, etc. and Google Photos will find pictures with those objects for you. The search feature works quite well but it is not flawless. But it works more often than not, which is good enough for me.
Google Photos also has really simple and easy sharing features. If you want to share a picture or an album, all you have to do is hit the share button and you can share it to Facebook, Twitter, and Google+. But what if you want to privately share it with other people? Google has a solution for that! You can easily send the person a shareable link and they can see and download all the selected pictures, even if they have never used Google Photos before. Coming Soon is a feature where you can send your album to anyone else and they have an option to follow it. Therefore, whenever you upload new pictures to the album they automatically get a notification and can see the pictures. This is really great if you have personal pictures which your family wants to see. You can just send them the link and they’ll always have access to the album. Google Photos also has Chromecast support so you can easily share your pictures at home on the big screen. Everything works really well and quickly, I totally love Google Photos and can see myself using it for a long, long time. It’s that great. In addition, Google will constantly be adding new features and improving Google Photos.
Google really nailed photo management with Google Photos. It is not an exaggeration to call Google Photos a “must have”. Great photo management software has been lacking for a long time and now we finally have it!
Easy and simple to use app
Unlimited storage (gives you the ability to free up space on your phone)
Excellent photo management
Super easy to share memories
Ability to have entire photo library in one location and viewable on your phone or computer
Works with all devices, Android phones, iPhones, and anything with access to the internet
Google gets even more of your personal information (if you worry about your privacy)